Monday 28 January 2019

Veterans Heritage Project




If you have a bit of time to spare, why not check out the 100 objects and stories that make up this terrific project. You can see it here.



Example from the Beyond the Centenary project, from the Wangaratta RSL Sub-Branch collection.




From the Lara RSL's collection. I have two of these memorial plaques, both in their original heavy card casings and in pretty much their original state. They were sent to my great grandmother Ellen Hunter in Carrick, Tasmania, in memory of two of her sons who died in WW1. The plaques I have look very much like the old pennies I used to get for my pocket money when I was a kid - not polished like this one. It's left me wondering what their original colour might have been. I actually like the fact that mine are that dull gun-metal colour. It seems appropriate.


The items displayed online relate to all of Australia's war experiences, not just WW1, and are sourced from a range of contributing organisations to Victorian Collections.

There are also stories, curated by different people, on a vast range of topics, such as this one by Belinda Ensor, that relates to World War One.

If you're a researcher interested in Victorian history, you'll find the Victorian Collections website is well worth a visit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment