Thursday, 28 August 2014

Percival Kerrison Smith update


Image courtesy David Beal.


This is a studio portrait of Percival Kerrison Smith, taken in Brunswick before he left for the Front. 

339 Private Percival Kerison Smith, 29th Infantry Battalion, A Company was killed in action at Fromelles on 19-20 July 1916

As a result of my earlier entry on P.K. Smith, a relative has sent me this photo and tells me that he is waiting to be contacted by the army so that he can provide a DNA sample in the hope of identifying PK's remains. 

He writes 'My wife and I plan to visit Fromelles around next July so we are really hoping that Percival can be identified in time for the 2015 memorial at Pheasant Wood, Fromelles.' I wonder how many others will make this same pilgrimage.

You can find out more about Lambis Englezos and his involvement in the Fromelles project here and here or simply do a Google search. So far, more than 120 soldiers have been identified. You can read more about the Fromelles Project here.



No comments:

Post a Comment